Homes for sale with guest house are more prevalent now than ever in the U.S. As home prices continue to rise, more and more families choose to share a two or three-family house, where grandparents get to live with their children and grandchildren.
Finding a property that is able to meet the needs of multiple generations is tough, and it takes a lot of patience and some luck to find the home that is perfect for you. With proper research and preparation, however, it can be done.
Here are some tips from families who are now living happily together in multigenerational homes:
Before You Begin Your Search
1. Be realistic with your goal as a family. Making the decision to buy a home where you can all live together is not easy. To avoid future misunderstandings, make sure you talk things out before getting started with the home buying process.
2. Create a list of property requirements and make sure that you discuss with every family member the absolute must-haves in the home that you are going to buy.
3. Make sure everyone agrees on sharing the work of house hunting.
During Your Search
1. Look for a broker who knows the area well. If you are looking for homes with granny flats for sale in San Diego CA, find a broker in that area who is familiar with the multifamily market there. He will help you decide on which type of home to buy.
Before You Sign
1. Find a lawyer who can help you figure out potential zoning issues. Since multifamily homes often come with tricky regulations when it comes to zoning, insurance and taxes, it’s better if you have a lawyer to discuss these things with you before you sign anything.
As You Move In
1. Discuss with your family members how you are going to divide among yourselves the administrative work that comes with your home purchase. This will help you avoid having only one party doing all the work.
2. Know where to invest more money during remodeling.
In the Long Term
1. Always choose to live together happily by actively looking for ways to make life harmonious for all.
2. Make sure that everyone feels comfortable in their own space, and that everyone has the freedom to do whatever they want with their own space. Establish boundaries early on so the parties know which part of the property they own.
While living in a home with your parents may sound stressful, living a happy life in this type of home is possible if you apply these tips. As you look for homes with granny flats for sale in San Diego CA, talk with all the parties involved and discuss among yourselves the ground rules to avoid future troubles.
Need help with your home purchase? Call me at 760-212-8225 and I’ll help you find the property that suits you and your family best. I am Dennis Smith, your top real estate agent in San Diego and Carlsbad CA.