8 Things You Shouldn’t Throw When Downsizing to Single Story Homes
How much stuff do you really need in your home? If you’re downsizing to single story homes for sale in Carlsbad, you should already know by now that you won’t be able to take all of the items you currently own. Unless the things you have occupy a little over 10% of your current living space, it is physically impossible and completely unimaginable to take everything with you.
However, just because you can’t keep every item does not mean you should throw away every last home item you have. Here’s a quick list of things you should keep when you downsize to a new home:
- Family photographs. Discard the frames, keep the photos. If you want to lessen your items even more, digitize your family photo collection, instead.
- Electronic gadgets. A lot of homeowners downsizing to single story homes in Carlsbad make the mistake of leaving behind their electronic gadgets that still contain all of their personal information. Take these items with you to your new home. Only leave these behind if you’ve completely wiped out all personal information and documents.
- Important documents. You wouldn’t want to get settled into your new home only to realize that your personal documents are left your home that’s on the other side of the country, right? Make sure to take all these important papers and documents with you when you move.
- Emergency supplies. Batteries, flashlight, first aid kits, radios, and more – keep these with you when you move to a new home. Replenish your supplies if necessary.
- Kitchen supplies. Bring only what you need such as the basic pots and pans, utensils, quality knives, etc. Discard any duplicates that can become added clutter in your new home.
- Bathroom supplies. Much like kitchen supplies, bring only the basic bath necessities such as towels, sheets, and more. A good ratio for these items are: two sets of sheet for the bed and pillows, and around 4 to 5 towels for each member of the family.
- Family heirlooms. Evaluate which heirlooms you should keep and what you can discard. If possible, try to move other family heirlooms that won’t fit your one story home for sale in Carlsbad to another family member’s house.
- Medication that are not yet past their expiration date. Another item that you need to take with you when you downsize are all the medications that have not expired yet. You’re already spending money on buying a home, you don’t need the added expense of replacing a daily prescription.
You don’t have to leave everything behind and start from scratch when you downsize to single story homes. Take with you these important items listed above. Don’t stress out about not having plenty of space because once you figure out what items are truly meaningful for you to take to your new home, you’ll soon find plenty of space for all of these. If you’re thinking of buying or selling homes in Carlsbad CA, feel free to check out homes for sale in the area by visiting http://SanDiegoHomes4u.com.